Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pears

Don't be fooled, we had like a million pears to cut up

Bottles, bottles, bottles!

taste testers.
So some of you may know this, but Scott and I have a dream to own a farm and be as self-sufficient as possible.
So, among learning to sew, and garden, I am also learning to bottle fruits and veggies.
It's hard work,
I made some awesome Raspberry jam a few weeks ago, and last week my mom got an amazing deal on pears, so I took a day off work, broke out the apron, and got my bottling/canning on!!
Everyone warned me about how hard pears are to bottle, and they weren't fun, but everyone made it sound like I would die by the end of the day.  It was a lot of work, but I was strong and pushed through. 
The result was fabulous!!
It took all day, but I will love it later this winter I'm sure.
Plus, I saved some pears to make some pear pie this week.

HAPPY HARVEST!!



1 comment:

Stecky said...

You darling girl! Did you know that Uncle Steve and I have the same dream? I would love to be self sufficient. I love canning and sewing and learning to do things for myself. Steve's niece makes her own soap from scratch...no cutting up stuff from Michaels! I need to talk to you. I love your pears. They aren't my favorite to bottle but I preserve them when possible....then no one eats them! I am proud of you. Keep it up!