Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reviews

Here are our most recent reviews of Academy Award winning movies, these won't be as fancy as the last movie review post because I have more to review than last time :)

Alright, first up "Casablanca"
Ranked number 2 in the top 100 American Movie Classics it won the best picture Oscar in 1943.  It is a true love story set in a war torn, yet romantic time, of World Was II.  Casablanca is the tragic love story of Ilsa and Rick.  Such a beautiful movie.  Turns out the studio that made this film didn't think much about it, and rushed it through production.  It has the dreamy Humphrey Bogart playing the romantic male lead.  Certainly an early "chick flick" in my opinion.  4 Stars all the way!
Scott Says:  Probably the best old black and white we've watched.  Because it's know as one of the greatest love stories of all time I was a bit unexcited but, like Rick, I guess I have a bit of a tender heart.  Making this love story actually quite enjoyable.  3 and a half stars.

Next up "Slum dog Millionaire."
Quite a turn from Casablanca, but a love story none the less. Such a good movie, if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.  Slum dog Millionaire won in 2008.  A true story of an under dog, and I have a soft spot for the under dog.  Set in India it tells the story of a lower class kid who wins a million dollars on the India version of "who wants to be a millionaire."  The way he knows the answers is based on (often sad) life experiences.  Nominated for 10 awards, it won 8 and is truly a must see! 3 stars from Mystie, only because I hate the scene where the boy falls in the poop.
Scott says: I never heard of "Bollywood" until the movie, but if all Indian films are this good then I guess I'll have to start getting used to dance routines at the end of all my movies.  A classic feel good movie that makes you really cheer for the underdog.  3 and a half stars.

Up next, "The Sting"
Won in 1973, and stars Paul Newman, who went on to have a successful chain of Organic foods and products, and Robert Redford, who loves Utah and indie films.  The film takes place in 1936 as two con men try to pull one over on a mob boss.  I got really bored, and could never figure out what was going on, and fell asleep for part of it.  I was over thinking it too much I guess.  looked funny, but never really got into it, 1 star.
Scott says:  This one was just OK.  Nothing special, but nothing bad either.  Had a fun ending but was dull throughout.  2 stars.

 "Gone With the Wind"
I grew up watching this movie, and have always loved it.  Ranked number 4 on the top 100 list mentioned above, it won 8 Academy Awards in 1939.  This is a great story about the Civil War, and really depicts life in the "old south" before, during and after the Civil War.  I always wanted to be as pretty as Scarlet O'Hara, but could never get over how selfish she and Rhett were.  Another great love story.  3 Stars!
Scott says:  I spent a large portion of my youth making fun of the movie even though I'd only seen about 15 minutes of it.  Well at least now my mocking have credibility. Ok, so it wasn't that bad.  I found myself attached to the characters and excited to see what happened next.  The only problem was the ending.  Terrible! I know the movie was about the old south being "gone with the wind" but still 2 and a half stars.

Finally, "Brave heart"
Won best picture in 1995, this film was my dad's favorite growing up, and he would spend hours watching it.  I found it boring then and even more so as an adult.  Total guy film.  Yes it is a love story, but I feel William Wallace was a man whore, with an ugly butt.  I understand it's a war movie about the Scot's battle against an evil king, and is an important part of history, but I just couldn't get into this film, and yet again fell asleep while watching it.  Nominated for 10 Oscars and won 5. 2 stars, because the scenery was pretty.
Scott says:
William Wallace I <3 you (that should be a heart) Captivating from beginning to end.  Fierce battle scenes, forbidden love and the cause of Scottish freedom make this epic war film one of the best.  LOVE the ending scene that really captures the emotion of William Walace.  4 stars!!

Alright kids, that's all for this weeks reviews stay turned for more :)

No comments: