Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Monday, May 23, 2011

Dentist

So... Ever had to have an emergency root canal?  I have, and trust me it's not fun. 
It's my fault, but I still didn't like it. 
Here is the story, way back in 2007 my back bottom molar cracked.  I didn't have dental insurance, and since it didn't hurt I didn't worry too much about it.  After I got engaged in 2008 part of the cavity filling fell out, and then that summer while eating popcorn a large chuck of tooth fell out as well.  Leaving me with a large hole in my tooth.  Well it didn't hurt, and when we got insurance (shortly after getting married Scott got benefit's Yay!) we didn't want to spend too much money, because we wanted to save for bigger things (baby).  Well, baby came, and now we are poor.  That's not tooth related.  All our money now goes to pay bills and save for Scott's Schooling.  I just put off getting my tooth fixed because I knew it would cost alot, and I'm a wimp.  I knew my teeth were bad, and I was embarrassed to go confess my candy and soda sins to the dentist (come to find out that my OCD brushing and flossing really did work).
I've been feeling sick all of last week, with a terrible headache, body ache and being super sleepy.  Thursday I noticed my tooth hurting.  I cleaned it out and rinsed it, but the pain started getting worse.  By Friday it was getting pretty bad.  While eating my lunch Friday, and piece of chicken got into the hole in my tooth and I felt like I had been punched in the face.  I quickly took care of the tooth, cleaning it and rinsing it, but the pain remained.  By the time I got home from work I couldn't see straight because of the pain.  Luckily my mom was here and watched Rivers while I found a dentist that took our insurance, and could get me in asap!  So Saturday morning, and 9:45 I went to a really nice dentist, and the work became on my tooth.
 Here is the x-ray, I'm not sure what it means, but the dentist did, and he knows how to fix it. 
Starting the "relaxing gas" turns out I needed to relax a lot.
I was willing to just have the tooth pulled, but Scott and the dentist agreed that pulling it would be a problem later on with the tooth above. 
2 hours later, they removed the rest of my previous filling on the tooth, removed the nerve that was causing the pain, and began "draining" the infection that had developed.
It's Tuesday, and I'm still in pain.  Not as much by any means, and the swelling on my jaw has gone down, but my man it's been rough.
I have to take an antibiotic every 8 hours, and 800mg of Ibuprofen, and if that doesn't kill the pain an Oxycodon, or a Loratab5 (all approved by my doc since I'm still nursing).  Today was a good day, but Saturday and Sunday were rough. 
I'm so grateful for Scott.  He found someone to work for him on Saturday (thank you Chad) and stayed home to take care of me and the baby.  That's been the hardest part of this is that I feel like such a bad mom.  I can't describe the feeling of not being able to care for your own child because you're either drugged up, sleeping or crying in pain.  I can still nurse, the amount of meds he's getting is very small, and the warning was that it might make drowsy, don't worry it didn't.
Rivers has been a real trooper through out all of this.  He was an angel in Church Sunday, and was quite while I needed to sleep.  He's gone to bed with out any fighting, and hasn't complained about having to take a bottle when mommy wasn't able to feed him.  He even snuggled with me when I was at my worst, crying on Saturday.  I'm so blessed to have such a sweet boy!
I go back in June 6 and 7:00 in the morning to have them finish up my root canal and give me a crown on my tooth.  Why I thought 7:00 AM was a good idea is beyond me since the baby isn't even up that early, but I'm hoping that I'll be better sooner so Scott can go to work and pay off my very costly mistake.  I have such a great husband :)

No comments: