Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Thursday, May 5, 2011

More Reviews! Are you in the egde of your seat yet?

I swear in this post, I"m sorry.
Turns out I only blog once a week, which is plenty, but I haven't had much desire to blog lately.  Mostly because I haven't gotten Rivers 6 month pictures taken yet and by the time I get them taken he will be almost 7 months, but oh well, we're poor. Also, Steve Carrell left the Office, and the time of summer reruns is quickly approaching and that means I'll be one bored mama hanging out at home.  It's what you do when your baby goes to sleep between 6 and 7 at night and sleep until 6 or 7 in the morning.  Anyway, on the the reviews
 
"All About Eve." staring Bette Davis.
This film was a total girl movie, or as I like to call it, a bitch-fest.  Some cool facts about this movie, nominated for 14 academy awards (which was the most ever until Titanic tied that record) and won 6.  It is the only film in Oscar history to receive 4 female acting nominations (I would think that would be an even bigger bitch-fest than the movie)
 All about Eve is #16 on the list of top 100 American movies.  It had a good story line, but dragged in a few places for me.
All About Eve is a 1950 American drama film written and directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz, based on the 1946 short story "The Wisdom of Eve", by Mary Orr.
The film stars Bette Davis as Margo Channing, a highly regarded but aging Broadway star. Anne Baxter plays Eve Harrington, a willingly helpful young fan who insinuates herself into Channing's life, ultimately threatening Channing's career and her personal relationships. George Sanders, Celeste Holm, Hugh Marlowe, Barbara Bates, Gary Merrill and Thelma Ritter also appear, and the film provided one of Marilyn Monroe's earliest important roles.
This was a really good movie, but like I mentioned earlier it dragged in a few places for me.  I give it 2 1/2 stars.
Scott Says:  "Uber boring. I feel asleep 1 1/2 stars"

The next movie we watched was Dances with Wolves.  Much more to Scott's liking.


Some facts about this film.  It won 7 Academy Awards, and was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."  Dances with Wolves was also directed and Stared Kevin Costner.
Dances with Wolves is a 1990 epic western film based on the book of the same name which tells the story of a Civil War-era United States Army lieutenant who travels to the American frontier to find a military post, and his dealings with a group of Sioux Indians.

This is a really beautiful film, shot in South Dakota and Wyoming.  It had a real Epic feel to it, and you found yourself cheering for the underdog.  I liked it, 4 Stars from Me.
Scott Says:  "For how long this movie was, I thought it was really good. Kevin Costner can be really boring but I found myself worried about his character who just spent most of his time in a one room cabin.  Really enjoyed the depiction of Native American Indians and their culture as well.  3 1/2 stars."

The final film for this review was  "Mutiny on the bounty"
Mutiny on the Bounty is a 1935 film starring Charles Laughton and Clark Gable, and directed by Frank Lloyd based on the Charles Nordhoff and James Norman Hall novel Mutiny on the Bounty.
The film was one of the biggest hits of its time. Although its historical accuracy has been questioned (inevitable as it is based on a novel about the facts, not the facts themselves), film critics consider this adaptation to be the best cinematic work inspired by the mutiny.

This movie was really fun to watch. But it was a total guy movie.  I really enjoyed the news reel at the end from the descendants of the crew members.  Some of the men fall in love with the women of Tahiti, and move to a new island to escape form the Royal Navy.  It shows how they still lived as of 1935, it was pretty cool.  But like I said total guy movie, so I only give this 2 1/2 stars.
Scott Say:  "This was a really fun old movie.  Lots of old movies have been boring but this on was exciting, dramatic, theatrical and funny. 3 stars."

No comments: