Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Monday, June 6, 2011

Memorial Day!!

So, despite working at the same place, Scott and I don't really see each other too much.  We get Wednesday nights after 5, and Sunday's after Church, With his calling in the Sunday School, and my calling in the Young Women's Presidency, and with Church being right during baby's nap time, we don't get to spend a lot of time together :( it's mostly just switching off the diaper bag and Rivers.  When we found out work was closed on Memorial day we were stoked!! Finally some time with our little family together!!  So after blowing off both mine and Scott's sides of the family (it was equal, gotta give both sides of the family the same love right?), we decided to have a little adventure.  This was great for us.  Scott and I used to go on little day trips all the time before we had baby, and we really wanted to see how baby will do in the car after a road trip, since we're driving to California in 2 weeks!!  He did great, and I think he loves adventures as much as mommy and daddy :)

 Every road trip has to start with a picture of Scott driving, he hates to not be in control so he drives, a lot, which is fine since I hate driving anyway...
 First Stop, Aunt Diane's Grave.  Aunt Diane died of breast cancer when I was 18, just after I graduated High School, and when/if I have a daughter her middle name will be Diane.  She was an amazing woman, who lost her husband 2 years after they wed, while she was pregnant with her only child.  She was always so great to me, went to every birthday party, dance recital, school assembly, church thing I ever did.  I have missed here every day since she passed.  I've been eager to get Rivers and Diane together, and I hope to have a tradition of seeing her every memorial day.  I also like to place flowers on the graves with out any.  Everyone needs to feel loved...

First stop on our adventure...
 the Spiral Jetty.  So I had no idea what this was until a German couple who was traveling asked me about it, I looked it up, and the directions to get out here were crazy.  I told them it was underwater, and to go to Bear Lake.  turns out I wasn't lying.  After showing it to Scott, he thought it would be cool to see it, so we took a detour from our original plans and stopped and saw it.  We got there right before the rain, so baby was a bit cold...
 While on our way to the Spiral Jetty, we found the Golden Spike national monument Museum.  After the Spiral Jettey we stopped here, went to the bathroom, had a snack break, and looked around. Pretty cool, not worth the $7 Scott got conned into paying for the "driving tour" but it went to help our National parks, so we just chalked it up to experience...

 After that, we decided to see the Logan Temple.  We knew it would be closed, but we are trying to see all the temples in Utah, and this was a way to cross Logan off our list.  Scott seems to dislike taking pictures, thus making me the photographer, I have very few pictures of me and my sweet baby together.  and the ones I do have, were taken by Scott who takes terrible pictures.  I promise I do love my child...
 We made it to Bear Lake, which was our original destination.  We looked for "Lakeshells" and had Raspberry shakes, and sat in the car and looked at the lake, since it was freezing!
 My guys are so cute!  Rivers was super excited to get out of the car and walk around for a bit, what a cute kid, just like his daddy.
 And finally... a picture to be proud of... He is such a mama's boy, but I'm not complaining :)

After we got home, and put baby to bed we had some pizza and watched a movie.  I think we we're also pooped after our little day trip.  I'm glad we did what we wanted, instead of trying to please everyone.  I often hate that I am such a people pleaser, because of all the guilt I always have.  Especially when it comes to Scott's family.  I often wish I lived out of state, so there wouldn't be as much pressure to accommodate family demands, both with my family and Scott's.  I know everyone is understanding, and not as judgmental as I think they are, but I just have such a hard time letting people down.  Blah! Enough explaining from me, Enjoy my cute family :)

4 comments:

Jamilla said...

What a fun little road trip. We need to do stuff like that more. That is great Rivers travels so well at his age! My kids were the worst at that age because they are old enough to get bored but too young to really entertain...looks like you have another good road tripper in the family.

Melissa D said...

i actually admire you for having the guts to blow us off because i wish i could do the same thing sometimes. I love everyone to death but I really need more quality time like that with my own little family. I'm glad you got that! :) So I guess I am saying I dont judge you at all, Im jealous! :) lol

Christy said...

I'm sure I will probably get in trouble for saying this but people understand that you can't come to every little family thing. They understand you have other things to do sometimes. It's really ok to say that you have other plans. They will still like you. They just care when you act like its a big hassle to spend time with family and say that the only reason you come is to please people and not because you want to spend time with them. I am hoping that we don't have to move out of state here pretty soon because even though we don't always go to all the family events, I want Emily to know/be close to her grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins. Anyway, just know that we like to spend time with you guys but totally understand that everyone just can't come to everything all the time. And that is ok. And now I'm craving a raspberry shake! :)

Laura said...

That's one of the things that Becky and Adam love about living out of state. They love being free to do their own thing and not to feel obligated to attend every single family function on all three sides of their family (Adam has two sets of parents, which makes it even more difficult to divide their time). Obviously it's nice to be close to extended family, but it is hard to avoid the guilt that comes with choosing to spend time with your own family. For Becky and Adam, it really makes planning trips home particularly difficult. Anyway, I'm really glad that you had such a fun trip! It looks like it was amazing... and I've always wanted to see the spiral jetty.