Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Monday, May 16, 2011

Stolen Baby Reviews

I really felt a need to blog today, but I don't really have anything to blog about.  So after some "blog stalking" I decided to copy a post my sister-in-law Christy did a few months back when her sweet little baby was 6 months old.  I wish I knew how to add links so everyone could read her blog, but alas I'm still figuring this blogging thing out... after almost 3 year... Lame I know...
Anyway, here are some things I have loved, liked and hated baby product wise. I'll probably find more to add that I forgot about right now, but this is a good starting point :)
Turtle sponge: I didn't get a baby bath tub for a shower gift, and when I went to price then, it just seemed like such a waste of money, so I opted for the blue turtle bath sponge for only $6.  This has been a life saver.  I just put him in the regular tub on the turtle with a little water, and as he's gotten bigger he sits on it so he can splash better.  I did replace it after about 4 months, but the cost of a second sponge was still cheaper than the whole baby bath tub (made of cheap plastic none-the-less) stuff.
White noise box: Ours can with our playpen, which we also love.  It was so helpful when Rivers was first born.  It clips to the side of his crib or playpen, and makes "soothing ocean sounds" as well as heart beats, and a few lullaby's (which would actually wake the baby).  Rivers still goes to sleep every night listening to the sounds of the ocean.  It also shuts its self off after about 20 minutes very slowly getting quieter.  It will also sooth him back to sleep if he randomly wakes up in the middle of the night.
Boppy nursing pillow: While I was pregnant I used the "Mommy Boppy" to sleep.  I got the nursing boppy for Christmas, and it was so great! before I was just using a couch pillow, and it got messing fast (distracted ester, that's my boy!).  I ended up having to throw the couch pillow out because it was too stained after we got the boppy.  Get the cover too, it washed way easy.
Swaddling Blankets:  My friend Cassie suggested these, and she was spot on!  They have Velcro so little babies can't break out easily, and Rivers still uses his only the more advanced way of wrapping with the arms out to get used to more freedom.  Rivers has been a sleeping champ since he was 6 Weeks old because of these blankets!
Bumbo + tray:  Before he could sit up he loved his bumbo.  and when he started Solids we used it as a highchair until we got a highchair.  The tray helps him stay focused on feeding. We use this now whenever we need to feed him away from home.
Medla Pump in Style Breast pump:  Knowing I was going back to work after baby was born, I researched breast pumps.  This one is easy to use, and just looks like a tote bag.  I started pumping in the morning after Rivers started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old.  I now have a year supply of frozen milk in our freezer.  It has kept my milk supply up, and even though I've slowed on milk production since he started solids I know it's not because of work, or pumping, but because I just don't need as much anymore.  It was a bit pricey, but I haven't had any problems with it, and it works amazing!
Rattle Socks:  These were a gift, and Rivers loves them.  He wears them when we go to the store and the entertain him the whole trip, and are so cute and fun for him all the time. 
Dark curtains:  When Scott and I got married we bought dark curtains for our bedroom because our neighbors had an annoying light that was on all night and we didn't have any blinds.  We took them with us when we lived with Scott's parents to make our room feel more like "home", and now they are up in the baby's room to make it nice and dark.  He has a West facing window so at bedtime his room is all sunlight. With the curtains up it's nice a dark for bedtime and naps :)
Baby swing: This was a miss for us... Rivers liked it when he was little, for a while it was the only way he would nap, but around 4 months he would rather play on the floor, and once he started rolling then sitting up the swing was more of punishment then entertainment.  I've heard older babies like the swing, so we'll try it again once he gets a little bigger.
Cloth Diapers: I loved them, but the maintenance was just too much to keep up with.  I used them from about 3 weeks until I went back to work when he was 3 months old.  I didn't want my babysitters to have to worry or deal with cloth diapers, and when I got home from work I wanted spend time with my baby, not cleaning and folding diapers.  Maybe when I have another and don't have a work I'll pull them out of storage again.
Diaper bag:  So I hate carrying a diaper bag, I really only use it when I think we will be gone for an extended period of time.  I got a larger purse for my birthday, and I pack a small bag with diapers, wipes and changing pad, with a burp cloth and some toys I'm set for our outings.
Stuffed Animals: I hate stuffed animals in general, but with a baby they are just worse.  He'll spit up on a stuffed animal and it's impossible to clean, plus they collect dust and for some reason seem to gain some sort of emotional attachment making them also impossible to get rid of.  I want something easy to wash, but doesn't carry guilt if I have to throw it out!
Moby Wrap vs Seven Sling:  Yes I have both of these products, and each has it's pros and cons.  The Moby wrap had a safer feel for wearing your baby, but was a bit of a pain to put on.  I was great for walks when he was a newborn, but as he got bigger he would fight getting in it.  The Seven Sling was easier to get on, but your holding options were limited.  It's nice for church (I spend hours walking the halls at church my arms got sore), and it's lite enough to throw in my purse when I go to the store in case Rivers doesn't want to sit in the shopping cart.
"What to Expect the First Year" This book is by Heidi Murkoff, the same who wrote "What to Expect When Your Expecting" It goes through month by month of the baby's first year and, well, what you can expect.  It covers everything from doctors visits, to post pardom, to any questions about development you might have.  Some thing are silly, but I've found it useful.
"The Happiest Baby on the Block" Also a book, by Harvey Karp M.D.  Rivers had Colic and reverse cycled (sleeping all day up all night) This book helped calm his crying and helped him learn to sleep.  It taught me tons of techniques and made those first few months with Colic so much easier!
"Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" This book is by Marc Weissbluth.  When you apply the techniques in this book you baby learns to sleep through the night.  It's the largest sleep study done on children, and it really works, I've even used some of the things in the book on Scott.  This book is written poorly though, making it a challenge to get through (seriously had to reread most of it) I think with better editing this book would solve all baby sleep problems.  It goes month by month on how to sleep train you baby, and withing days of trying the things the book suggests Rivers was sleeping through the night and taking regular naps.  It helped me see where early sleep early sleep troubles can lead to problems later (which Scott has).  Most of Rivers crying and colic problems were fixed by falling the steps in this book.
Ok this post is too long now, so I hope this has been informative to someone :)

No comments: