Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Thursday, April 21, 2011

All Quiet on the Western Front

This is the oldest movie we've watched, and is also on the list of top 100 movies coming in at 54.  It won the Academy award in 1929 for best film and best director. The film is also based on a German novel by the same name.

All Quiet on the Western front is a story about high school aged boys get coerced to join the German army in the beginning of World War One.  After minimal boot camp training these boys get put on the front lines of the battles.  "All quiet on the western front" depicted many early film making war scenes, where these young soldiers have to grow up quickly protecting the "Fatherland".  Many lives are lost, as well as some limbs. 
I found this movie a bit hard to follow, largely because it is a black and white film, and never really distinguished who the star was.  I imagine in 1930 this film would have been difficult to watch, but does show great early pyrotechnics's, and editing.  I gave this film 2 stars.
Scott Says:  I don't make it a habit to watch movies from the 1930's but for it's time it seemed highly sophisticated in it's portrayal of what war does to people.  Until that point there was probably not another movie that depicted what it would really be like to be at war and I think I would have liked it if I would have been born in 1915.  I give this 2 stars.

1 comment:

Sandy -- As Told By Mommy said...

I think I have seen that one. Sometimes those older movies are harder to follow. I like silent films though are there any on your list?