Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Monday, March 18, 2013

Meatless Mondays

Back over last summer Scott and I decided to try something called
Meatless Monday.
We had an awesome garden, and since I was a vegetarian
for 7 years I have little to no experience cooking meat.
 
Since getting pregnant and always feeling gross I haven't cooked much.
We have lived off frozen meals, and take out.
 
Since I'm feeling good over these last few days
I have decided to cook!
 
This is what I am making tonight
Loaded veggie baked ziti.
 
 
This was one of my favorite meals I found
Scott and I both feel that meat is taking over meal time for our family
I am completely fine not eating meat, most of the time
meat is gross and full of chemicals and hormones.
 
But, it still tastes good, and I am human
so I have weaknesses.
 
This recipe is so yummy and pretty healthy based on what type of
pasta and cheese you use. 
I usually just grab what I have on hand.
I'm sure you are all dying for the recipe, so I'll be kind and share.
That's how giving I am.

Note:  This is the Original recipe as I found it, this is only 1-2 servings
I totally add more of everything except the tomatoes
 
 
Loaded veggie baked ziti:
2/3 cup uncooked ziti (whole wheat is good, but of course white is yummier)
1 14 ounce can tomatoes (I grab diced).  Reserve 1/2 cup of the juice.
1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup diced green bell peppers
1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves minced (I always add more!!)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (reduced fat if ya wanna be healthier)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray
 
Fill a medium to large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to boil.  Add pasta and cook until dente (tender) 10-12 minutes, or according to directions on package. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
 
in a nonstick pan, over medium heat add reserved juice from tomatoes.  Stir in carrots, broccoli and green pepper.  Saute 5 minutes until tender.  Add the mushrooms and garlic, cook for another 5 minutes.
 
Add the tomatoes, basil, oregano and black pepper to the veggie mix, cook for 3-5 minutes.
 
Transfer this to a large bowl, add cooked pasta and Mozzarella cheese.
Toss gently to mix and spoon into baking dish.  Sprinkle with parm cheese.  Cover with foil and bake until mixture is hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.  Remove foil after 15 minutes and cook uncovered.
 
Serve immediately.
 
So good, so yummy, so comforting and really not to hard.
Totally easy too!!
You should all try this and let me know what you think.
I usually serve this with a mixed grain bread and sliced strawberries and bananas so that it's a "complete" meal.
 
Happy Meatless Monday!!


No comments: