Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Why a change? Why now?

I've gotten this question from a few people, namely family since most of you are family or close to it.
The reason is simple. Everything changes and you can either go with the change or complain about it. I chose to go with it. Over the last year my life has felt very new, very different.  I've liked it, but I could feel change happening, and I'm talking bigger than when facebook makes changes.
Last August my awesome husband quit his job to go back to school full time.  This change made a difference in our roles at home.  I used to work during the day and he worked nights and our beautiful son was being watched for a few hours a day by others (family who loved him, but still not me or Scott). I didn't like this. When school started I was able to work night so Scott could take classes during the day and we were able to take care of our child independently.  At first I loved being home with him during the day and working at night to help take care of my family.  I was making more money and Scott was really happy and so was Rivers.  I was exhausted.  Kids some how syphon any and all energy out of a normal person.  I would get up around 7 with an infant/toddler, take care of him, make Scott a lunch, clean the house and keep up the laundry and other house chores, Work for 5-8 hours (waitress remember, crazy hours), come home, clean up dinner, decompress, shower then go to bed.  I was averaging about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, but I was making it work and thought I was happy.  Only I wasn't.  At first I blamed it on seasonal depression, but really I was burning both ends of the candle and slaving away at a job that was convenient, but not great.  Don't get me wrong I love being a waitress, and I'm pretty good at it too.
At some point however things started slipping.  Scott had finals coming up and I was busy with my Young Women's calling.  I began to give up the fight.  I got a complaint at work from a costumer.  These are common, people have crazy expectations and when something doesn't work as planned they take it out of the low man, well for me, I was that low man.  I tried to make things right with the guest but in the end the company decided to let me go.  I was panicked.  What was I to do with a now one year old, a husband out of school for the summer who was working for his dad, no job skills except hospitality which was now tarnished, and a whole summer of bills still needing to be attended to? I prayed, and I prayed and I prayed.  I kept thinking "the Lord will work this out after I do all I can do." I looked for other serving jobs but I wanted something very specific.  No Sundays, and I needed Wednesdays off for Mutual.  Also I'd rather not serve liquor, but I was willing to let that one slide if I could find something that met the first two, since I don't drink those became the important ones. Nothing really seemed promising.  I had one interview that was more of "Well we think you're great, but we actually just filled the spot we had open. But we will keep you in mind next time and give you a call since you're so great for this".  After some talk with Scott we decided to take it to the Lord and see this as a sign to live the way our parents and grandparents lived. Poor.  Dirt poor to be exact.  We had been smart and paid off our car with our tax return, paid off our credit card, and put the rest in savings.  This has been how we've paid our bills (fallowing the counsel of church leaders really pays off) We see no movies, don't go out to eat, stick to a menu of sorts (some weeks thing fall apart) and been very careful about our money.  With Scott working for his dad we have been able so pay our bills, fulfill our calling in the YM and YW (did I mention that while all this was going on Scott got called to the YM's presidency and to be the Scout master? He did and we got more busy.), and still have one super smart, happy son. 
I want to mention here that my depression seems to have gone away as well.  I think I was just over whelmed and unhappy. Life improved and I realized how unhappy I was at my job, and that I had been for some time now.  They treated me very poorly and I put up with it for so long. I'd been working at the same place for five and a half years! I'd been there through 3 lead MOD's, 2 executive chef's, 4 sous chefs and at least 30-40 different servers.  Not to mention a few VIP changes in the company.  I finally feel like myself for the first time since High school.  I have time now to finish my sewing classes, blog better (now that I want to), learn to cook healthy meals, play games with the neighbors, make it to friends parties and functions, and be the wife and mother I've wanted to be as well as the YW leader I know I can me. 
Blessing in disguise.
Well I hear that nap time is over. Please stay tuned as I embrace the workings of becoming a better wife a mother and doing the domestic thing
Mystique

1 comment:

Christy said...

Maybe you can teach me how to enjoy being domestic and how to get invited to the neighbors to play games and stuff. You'd think after 1.5 years of being a stay-at-home mom I'd have it figured out by now.