Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

New Calling

For about a year and a half now I have been serving in the Young Women's Presidency in my ward here in Salt Lake as the Second Counselor.  I've loved it.  My responsibilities were easy, I help the girls plan their weekly activities, reminded them of the activities and helped them with personal progress.  I also went to a few ward counsel meetings, and was involved with a few other things, but for the most part my calling was pretty simple.  I really enjoyed it.

In between sessions of conference on Saturday it was requested that we meet with the bishop.  He's a new bishop so I just figured it was a get-to-know you meeting.  In that meeting I was released from my calling, and so was Scott.  After that I was called to be the Young Women's President.

I was instantly overwhelmed.

I was given instructions to call a presidency.  I've never done that before.  I was also given a list of dates for meetings, thoughts about the Ward Christmas party, who would be good for a camp director, and much more that I was prepared for at the moment since I didn't bring my notebook or phone.

I've never been in a position like this before.  I  feel small, and humbled.  i was once the Mia maid class president while I was 15, for 3 months before I turned 16 and became a Laurel.  I don't think I accomplished anything in my term as president. 

Calling my presidency has been a very humbling, spiritual experience.  I had a few names of amazing sisters bouncing around, but I really didn't want to upset anything that was already set up in the Ward, and one of the ladies on my list was in the Relief Society presidency.  I have loved the current R.S. presidency and was hesitant to break it up.  I make my selections and talked with the first counselor and bishop I only had 2 names.  I got a call late Saturday night that they have been unable to contact any of my new presidency.  I told them that was good, because I was changing it. 

After that everything fell into place, and all my fears passed.  I know that the Lord helped me make that decision. 

Tuesday was my first mutual activity and since my counselors were called barely on Sunday they were unable to make it, but I think things went well.  I think the girls needed to be near me, and know of the love I have for them.

I know this is going to be a HUGE growing and learning process for myself as well as for the girls, some of them were really sad to be losing the former YW president (who was amazing!). 

Prayers are always appreciated.

No comments: