Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

12 weeks in a helmet.... 12 more to go...

So back on February 18 we had our big helmet appointment with the helmet doctor and the pediatric plastic surgeon (PPS).  The surgeon is the one who makes the final decision about the helmet.  After the scan with the helmet doc we headed over to the PPS.  I love both of these doctors, they make everything feel so normal.  Dr. Siddiqi (PPS) is located in Primary Children's hospital.  We love going there!  All the nurses and doctors are so sweet, nice and caring.  I can not say enough about the care given there.  

Anyway, about Oliver's head.  It looked good, but not where the doctors want it.  I could show you the notes and scans and numbers, but really that's all boring unless you understand it, and I'm still not 100% in all that even after all these months.  With out his helmet I think he looks pretty good.  with his helmet I think he looks good too.  I'm bias.

Any who.  Here's a few photos
 3 weeks into helmet wear
 8 weeks into helmet.  Looks really good honestly.
11 weeks into helmet.  
The front is just a little small, but all the correct plates are open (not fused). If you notice in the top right photo of the last one here that small red sore above his ear is a pressure sore. He also got a pretty bad one on the very back of his head.  This was caused by his helmet being too small.  So Oliver got to go a whole 2 weeks helmet free while we waited (again) for insurance coverage, and making the new helmet.  It was pretty awesome.  The goal now is to enlarge the front, near the temples, and to keep his head from reverting back to the old Scaphocephaly shape.  Helmets work people, no matter how annoying they are.

I'm also getting used to the stares and pointing and rude questions from young children who's parents haven't taught them it's rude to point and stare.  I'm sorry I said I wasn't going to do that, but really it bothers me.  He is a baby and has no idea what's going on.  I'm just being sensitive.  I feel like his new helmet is HUGE on his tiny little head.  

Wither way he's cute and I love him and we're already a week into the new helmet and will be done in June.  12 weeks isn't really that long right?

1 comment:

Grandma Hulse said...

Oliver is so precious. His name is in our prayers and hearts. Grandpa prays for him at night and family prayers as do I.