Big * Middle * Little

Big * Middle * Little
Just a Blog about my boys, helmets, food and family....

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

C-section vs. Vaginal delivery

So I'm waiting online currently for a chat person to help answer some questions and the wait time is 17 minutes.  I decided to take this time and quickly post about my experience with these two different forms of delivery.

Rivers was a typical vaginal delivery, and Oliver was a planned c-section due to being breech.

Rivers: Due date:October 25, 2010
          Arrival: October 24, 2010.  Vaginal

Oliver: Due date: July 23, 2013
          Arrival: July 17,2013.  Cesarean section

Both boys were early, Oliver by about a week, this is because he was breech and my doctor wouldn't schedule c-sections before 39 weeks.

Rivers: started labor 5:00 am on the 23, delivered 5:36 the following day.  Labored at home for 12 hours until my water broke, only dilated 1 cm when arrived at hospital, pushed from 2:00 AM until he came out at 5:36.  

Oliver: checked in at 6:00 AM on the 17, surgery scheduled for 7:30.  Born at 8:05.

Pain control:

With Rivers I had an epidural, with Oliver it was a spinal.  I hated the epidural, it hurt getting and made me shaky.  I was in so much pain for so long by this point I wanted as much pain relief as I could get as fast as I could get.  I think I took too much because I was numb in my right leg for about a day after Rivers was born, and it made it more difficult to push.  Plus getting the epidural hurt and left a huge bruise on my back.

With Oliver it was surgery so I had the spinal which felt like a tiny bee sting, it was higher on my back, and felt quite pleasant.  It worked fast and wore off quickly after the surgery.  I loved the spinal.

Recovery:

The biggest challenge I had recovering with Rivers was going poop after.  TMI I know, but I thought I was going to die!  I was super tired after having Rivers, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that I pushed for nearly 4 hours.  I was up walking a few hours after his birth, and was given typical pain killers.  By 6 weeks I had no bleeding, and felt largely normal, maybe a little fat and my boobs were sore from nursing.

With Oliver I was given 2 types of painkillers and they kept them on a pretty good schedule so I never got uncomfortable.  It took longer to get up and walk, and I nearly passed out the first time and had to get wheeled back to my room.  Getting in and out of bed and going to the bathroom was the worst!  I bled until 5 weeks.
I was surprised by how much bleeding I had after the c-section.  since the baby didn't come out the traditional way i didn't think there would be any.  I still had the same no swimming for 6 weeks rule, as well as all the other things you can't do before 6 weeks, like exercising and such.  Every now and then my incision will hurt, and often my stomach muscles are sore.  It's all very manageable.  

Postpartum:

With Rivers I got really bad PPD.  No one really talks about it, but there were days when all I could do was feed him, dress him and change his bum, and I did all this so people wouldn't think I was a bad mother.  Rivers had colic and cried a lot.  Some days I couldn't stand to look at him and I cried a lot.  I hate those memories, some of my darkest days.  By 12 weeks postpartum I felt better and was able to be the mother I wanted to be, but it was a long dark road.

With Ollie I haven't had any of those feelings.  I have felt like singing on the top of a mountain.  I love everything he does, he eats so well, sleeps so well, loves to snuggle and is generally a good baby.  He would eat all day if I let him.  He doesn't like to be around a lot of people and gets overwhelmed easy.  I feel really good. Maybe it was because I was prepared for the worse after having a rough first baby, but my attitude is generally more upbeat this go around.  I feel very blessed about that.  


So, which would I chose as a form of having babies?  Neither.  Both kinda suck, I could only imagine how miserable having a baby would be if you went into labor, labored for a while, then had a Cesarean.  I also was never induced so I have no comparison for that.
I really doubt I'm going to have anymore babies.  I have 2 great little boys and I have the challenge of raising strong worthy future priesthood holders and I think that's enough of a challenge for me to face in this lifetime.  Many people have asked about trying to have a girl, and I'm sure I would love a daughter, but I think I'll be okay if I didn't have girl.  I honestly don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.  I might be changing my tune in a few years, but I don't think Scott could handle another pregnancy, and I don't know if I could handle another delivery.  I hate feeling helpless, and incapable.  Plus, the morning sickness, and the kidney stones, and the back pain, and the lack of sleep.  No thank you, I'll just sit back and enjoy my family of four.    

One thing I never want again in a breech baby.  My poor little Ollie has had so many problems due to being breech for so long.  I am not in a place to talk about it much right now, it's nothing life threatening, and he is currently developing mentally and physically normal so don't worry about that, but if any readers out there could keep him in your prayers I would appreciate that.  I need some good vibes over here :)




2 comments:

Katrina said...

I hate the spinal-- every time it seems to get worse. I feel weight on my lungs, and I hate not being in control (personal issue, I know). This last time I actually threw up (TMI-sorry). I thought it would get better each time, but it seems to be getting worse! I don't get anxiety over surgeries... unless it's a c-sec. :)

I like hearing how our experiences differ. Good job on two sweet boys!

Lynette said...

I like that you chose neither to have babies. Haha. Sorry things have been so rough for you with pregnancy and delivery. You definitely deserve that an easy baby this time!